Sunday 25 October 2015

Day 21 and 22

It's been a hard couple of days. The last thing I wanted to do after getting home was writing on the blog about the horrors I witnessed.

I saw some things that will stay on my mind forever. But I also became extremely proud of the team we are working with. 

I have held countless babies in my arms these last few days. All of them soaked. All of them dry 10 minutes later after I was done changing their clothes. 

I found a 7 year old girl naked, rolled in a bed sheet, in the middle of the rubbish, trying to keep warm. I remembered seeing her father asking me for help 15 minutes earlier and I had said "no" because we were closing and I was going home. I gave him a bed sheet and said "that's all I can do for you now!" And he proceeded to take the girl's clothes off because they were soakin wet, and rolled her in the bed sheet. When I closed the container and was on my way to hand in the keys, I saw the rubbish shaking and when I lifted some plastic, the girl was there. I held her in my arms while she shivered and didn't say a word. I took her to the clothes container and hugged her for a few minutes while I cried and soothed her. I then got myself together and changed her into some dry clothes while I asked her father to hold the door closes because there were hundreds of people outside trying to get in so they too could get dry clothes. 

I'll leave you with some photos. 
I'm lost for words. 



Here's a kid who didn't let me touch him to change his clothes. I simply put a blanket over him and let him stay there to get warm. He would scream every time I tried to open the blanket to see him.  We have a bag of clothes to his mother so she could change him later. 


This is the pile of clothes that we took of the people that were wet. As we don't get to help everyone, the people we didn't give dry clothes to often come here and forage for some. It's sad, as these clothes often smell of damp and pee and are in horrible condition, but are sometimes more than these people have. 


This is the welcome centre at Moria refugee camp. One of the few places with a roof over your head.


Jack spoke to this 15 year old girl from Iran who wants to, one day, come back and help with the situation at the camps. She said she was very thankful for the amazing work the NGOs are doing and wants to join the efforts. 
On the background you can see what the camp looks like for the last few days. 


At the end of the day we went for a walk in the city center and saw many refugees finding shelter in front of the closed shops. Any dry place is worth gold around here. It hasn't stopped raining in three days. 


Lastly some graffiti around town. We kinda agree with the message ;)




No comments: