Sunday 13 December 2015

the aftermath.

I visited my old school last week to talk about Lesbos.
I think people assume this is an easy thing for me. It's not. I have to talk about deeply personal stories that left me traumatised. The reason I choose to do it is because I believe these stories will change people's views about what is going on in Lesbos. I hope by the end of the talk, the students and teachers will go home and remember that the word "refugee" represents the individual people they have heard about on my talk.

It's hard. It's so very very hard. I fight back the tears as I speak about my days in Lesbos. 
My family assumes that the reason I hold back from telling them details is my apathy. In reality I try to protect them from knowing the suffering I witnessed and carry with me. 

No comments: